Monday 26 October 2015

Reflections

When Peter started talking seriously about this trip in late spring of 2014 I immediately said I would like to do it as well.  Now only three days away from returning to the UK and I've been thinking about the things and places I've seen, the people I've met and what a totally amazing experience it's all been.

Some places have moved me to tears - Crater Lake, Oregon which has to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet, the Lincoln Memorial with the Gettysburg Address carved into the wall close by, even though it was crowded, was beautiful and to stand where Martin Luther King Junior gave his "I have a dream" speech filled me with awe.  I've loved driving along the endless roads through the mountains, forests, fields, across the rivers and all under the huge skies.  We've been blessed with fabulous weather most of the time too.

The American people have been so friendly and welcoming (provided that they aren't in their cars!!)  Everyone wants to know where we're from, they love our accent and they would love to visit England!

There have been disappointments also:  We couldn't visit The Wave - Arizona because it's protected and therefore a walk of 3 miles out into the desert - walking around it - then 3 miles back again in 100 + Fahrenheit - I know my limitations and it just wasn't possible;  we missed the Minuteman Missile silo because it wasn't signposted and we had a couple of hundred miles still to go that day!  But the joys have outweighed the small inconveniences. 

What I do know is that I won't ever forget it, it's been great, but Fall is here, the weather is changing and it's time to get back to "normal" life. [Shame! Ed.]

2 comments:

  1. The posts have been fun to read. I hope the blog continues for a while yet, possibly with some reflective pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been fascinating following you and Daisy Bear around THE U S A.. Now I definitely know some of these places exist outside of maps. Also as I presumed America is more than The Big Apple and Long Island. Hopefully I will see more when I next visit this vast Continent. 40 Times the size but with less than 5 TIMES the people of the UK.

    ReplyDelete